Who is a good candidate?
Types of Sex Reassignment Surgery
Changing from female to male include:
Genital Reassignment surgeries:
• Removal of the vagina
• Creation of a scrotum and testicular implants (scrotoplasty)
• Creation of a penis
However, the term Sex Reassignment Surgery for Transgender men can also include:
• Mastectomy: resizing breasts to a smaller one
• Hysterectomy: removing the uterus
• Oophorectomy: removing the ovaries
• Salpingectomy: removing the fallopian tubes
• Vaginectomy: removing all or part of the vagina
• Urethroplasty: reconstructing the urethra
• Glansplasty: constructing the glans penis, or the ‘head of the penis’, which is the sensitive and bulbous structure at the tip of the penis
• Penile Implant: inserting a prosthetic containing a substance that will serve as a replacement for the spongy tissue inside a penis that normally fills with blood during an erection
Changing from male to female include:
• Tracheal Shave: reducing cartilage in the, also known as Adam’s Apple Removal
• Breast Augmentation: optimizing the size, shape, and texture to a more feminine look
• Buttock Augmentation: altering the size, shape, and texture of the buttocks to a more feminine look
• Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS): Hormone therapy with surgeries to enhance the female characterization
• Body Sculpting: enhance the female characterization by evening fatty tissue deposits, reducing localized excess, and providing the desired feminization of the body
• Hair Grafting
Before the procedure
There is a big responsibility for the team of medical professionals to confirm that this surgery is a suitable thing for the patient. There will be several courses of consultation to confirm mental stability and total physical stability. After the confirmation, the medical team will put all their efforts to help the patient to be treated as easy as possible. It is a long process so the patient has to be really strong. Before any surgery a whole course of hormone therapy will be done. Patients should stop taking Aspirin and anti-inflammatory medicines at least 2 weeks before every surgery. Patients should stop smoking few weeks before and after each surgery. For each surgery the surgeon takes medical history of the patient.
During the procedure
Each surgery has a different approach from other ones.
After the procedure
Because the treatments will be different in different people, so the medical team will give the considerations completely after each surgery. People have to continue their consultation courses through this difficult time until they get used to everything.
Duration of results
Soreness, swelling or pain, scars, infections and bleeding